There are 12 Continuing Education Units included with this course.
Building upon the information from Crisis Pregnancy 101, this course dives deeper into the issues and challenges that counselors face when working with pregnant clients. Counselors will learn how to deal with relevant and difficult issues such as the ethics of abortion, unresolved trauma, rape, complicated grief, and more.
- MLCPC 201: Counseling in the 21st Century: Serving Her Online and Through Social MediaThis session will teach coaches how to minister to the women they serve through the use of the Internet and social media. Dr. Straub will discuss the unique characteristics of the Millennial Generation and will help coaches better understand how these women may be reached. Participants better understand the impact of the Internet and social media and will learn useful ways of applying this knowledge to their coaching sessions.
- MLCPC 202: Pregnancy Issues: Contraception, Complications and ConcernsThis session will discuss the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. Coaches will be informed of the issues surrounding pregnancy prevention methods. Dr. Christiansen will also explain how pregnancy resource centers may more to a more medical approach.
- MLCPC 203: The Face of Pain: Sexual Abuse, Rape, and Domestic ViolenceThis session will teach coaches how to understand and respond to women who have experienced sexual abuse, rape, or domestic violence. Participants will become aware of the statistics surrounding these issues and will be taught what constitutes these acts. Dr. Mintle will equip coaches will greater understanding surrounding sexual trauma.
- MLCPC 204: Unresolved Trauma: PTSD, Addictions and SuicideThis session will discuss issues involving trauma that coaches need to be aware of. Dr. Scalise provides explanations, warning signs, and insights for coaches to be more aware these concerns with their clients. Participants will gain a greater understanding of when it is necessary to refer clients who are struggling with PTSD, addictions, or suicidal thoughts.
- MLCPC 205: The Miracle of Life: Fetal Development and BirthThis session will take crisis pregnancy coaches through the developmental milestones in a baby that occur from conception to birth. Coaches will be provided with diagrams that highlight the discussed stages. Dr. Christiansen will discuss how coaches may apply this information when speaking with clients and potential mothers. Coaches will learn how ultrasounds and the information provided by the pregnancy resource center may prevent women from choosing abortion.
- MLCPC 206: Abortion and the Law: Ethics, Liability, Client Rights and Current StatutesThis session will discuss the legal side of crisis pregnancy coaching. Participants will learn about how to protect themselves and their center while working with clients. Abortion laws will be discussed as well as the ethics and liability of coaching. Participants will learn how to apply this information to their interactions with clients.
- MLCPC 207: Abortion Education: Procedures, Risks, and the ResearchThis session will educate participants on abortion procedures, risks, and research. Coaches will learn how to educate and empower their clients in an effective way. Participants will become aware of how they may be affected by compassion fatigue, and will learn how to cope while working with abortion-minded clients.
- MLCPC 208: Post Abortion Syndrome: Understanding Anxiety and DepressionThis session will educate clients on the potential long-term impact of an abortion through the development of Post Abortion Stress Syndrome. The presenters discuss how to identify depression and anxiety in a post-abortive woman and how to create a safe place that invites her to share her story.
- MLCPC 209: Dealing With the Aftermath: Grief, Loss and Complicated GriefThis session will offer students a basic understanding of the processes of grief. It will address the types of grief specific to both unplanned pregnancy and pregnancy loss or abortion. It will also address how to identify these “unrecognized” losses and give practical recommendations for helping.
- MLCPC 210: Forgiveness and Reconciliation: The Road to RecoveryThis session will explain how coaches can move clients to a place of forgiveness. Dr. Scalise will detail the steps of forgiveness and will teach coaches biblical insights on forgiveness. Participants will learn how to walk clients through forgiveness and will learn how to explain the difference between forgiveness and reconciliation.
- MLCPC 211: Considering the Options: Choosing AdoptionThis session will teach coaches how to present the option of adoption to those in a crisis pregnancy situation. Coaches will become informed of the history of adoption as well as how adoption has changed in recent years. Through this training, coaches will better understand the options that are present in adoption and will be better able to meet their clients’ needs in the best way possible.
- MLCPC 212: Compassion Fatigue: Managing the High Cost of careThis session will teach coaches how to maintain their own physical, mental, and spiritual health while working with crisis pregnancy situations. Dr. Scalise will discuss the causes and symptoms of compassion fatigue and stress. Participants will learn how to develop a plan to manage the stress of their lives and ministry.